Files and documents from the web or other possibly unsafe locations may be infected with malicious software or viruses. These infections can wreak havoc on your computer. To offer protection, files that have been downloaded from the Internet or transferred from unsafe locations open in Read Only or Protected View. If “the file couldn’t open in protected view” error is popping up each time you try to open an Excel spreadsheet or Word document, then read on. Here are some ways to fix this error.
Turn off Protected View
You should turn off Protected View by following these steps provided below:
- First, launch MS Word or Excel on your PC.
- Then click on the Options button on the lower left side of the screen.
- You should choose the ‘Trust Center’ option and pick the ‘Trust Center Settings’ option.
- Beneath the ‘Protected View’ section, ensure that every option is unticked.
- Now, press the OK button to apply the changes.
Reset Trust Center Settings
You should reset trust center settings by pursuing these instructions provided below:
- First, invoke MS Word or Excel on your device.
- Then choose the Options button at the lower-left side of the screen.
- You should pick the ‘Trust Center’ option and select the ‘Trust Center Settings’ option.
- Finally, beneath the Protected View section, ensure that these options are marked:
- Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet.
- Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations.
- Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments.
- Now, tap on the OK button for saving the changes.
Fix Office App
You can fix the Office app by following these instructions provided below:
- First, tap on the Windows key to launch the Search section.
- Then input ‘settings’ in it and hit the Enter key to launch the Settings.
- You should choose the Apps option and reach the ‘Apps and Features’ option.
- Thereafter, move down to locate the specific app which is not launching the file.
- Later, choose the name of the app and pick the Modify option.
- You have to click on the Yes button.
- Once open the screen, choose the ‘Quick Repair’ option.
- Go to the Repair button and click on it.
- However, in case the problem continues, redo the instructions and attempt Online Repair.
Users may receive the error message stating ‘the file couldn’t open in protected view’ in both Microsoft Excel and Word. When this error occurs, don’t worry. Follow the fixes mentioned above and resolve the problem with ease.
Source:- How to Fix “The File Couldn’t Open in Protected View” Error